Introducing Innovative Health Products to New Markets
Build advance market demand: A multinational health corporation saw a unique opportunity when several new health commodities for diseases prevalent in Africa faced a 5-year approval window. DFI was retained to build an advocacy strategy that would establish market demand prior to regulatory approval and commercialization.
- Prioritized establishing trust with potential partners in key countries, DFI targeted international institutions that were influential with African Ministries of Health and Finance open to private sector collaboration.
- Next, DFI executed a comprehensive assessment of regional political, economic, and funding institutions including the World Health Organization and various International Funding Organizations to identify possible allies, ultimately extending to include the academic community and African Diaspora.
- Alongside demand-generation efforts, DFI strengthened the private sector channels that would serve as important current and future distribution points. Pilot projects launched in partnership with local NGOs and business associations to test the viability of the channels and compatability of existing government health service providers.
- Pilot projects provided a “proof of concept” for the Client and other health sector stakeholders, demonstrating that private distribution channels had an important role to play in delivering products to target populations.
- From designing rural health initiatives to stimulating discussion on the merit of select interventions, DFI crafted diverse stakeholder activities to secure successful collaboration at multiple levels.
- After 2-years DFI engagement, third party advocates were already publicizing notable improvements to health outcomes from the joint initiatives between the Client and international as well as local institutions.
- With DFI’s support, the Client used the successful pre-launch effort as a model in other regions and with additional funders
- Client’s marketing department pioneered a multipronged approach which gained senior executive support
- Lessons learned strengthened capacity of local Client offices to drive innovative advocacy and sales strategies
World Health Organization (WHO) and other select UN agencies, International Financial Organizations, Foundations